Monday, June 23, 2008

Self-Aware

Today marks the realization that I am slowly wasting my life away and that the time I have to excel is slowly escaping. Issac Newton, Michael Jordan, Mozart, all achieved great things during their 20s. In almost any profession, the 20somethings is what marks the future of your life.

My birthday just passed. June 21st. Summer solstice. The first day of summer. Beautiful things should have come from this, but alas I was broke. My best friend couldn't make the trip down from Boston. My roommate was lackluster in his ability to celebrate, considering my financial status was less than par (-105.00 in my bank account to be exact). Luckily, the town fireworks celebration was on the same day and watching the fireworks was free.

I stopped off to see another one of my friends at the package store and used my birthday as leverage to acquire a free 12 pack. We ventured down to the beach to watch the fireworks, where I laid waste to the 12 pack until nothing was left. I went to bathroom several times, trolling through the seas of preteen-year olds and feeling so out of place and disconnected. I returned to my group, (none of the people could've really been considered friends) and I looked to the sky and felt as if I was sharing a birthday moment with America.

As cheesy as a Bruce Springsteen, Budweiser, Chevy commercial rolled up into one, I felt that redneck patriotism swell up inside of me. Now I didn't start to enjoy country music, but it did put things in perspective for me. I have a short amount of time to make my mark on this world. I'm going for broke, shooting the moon, hitting the stars, and giving myself an honest chance before I schlep out.

...Starting tomorrow.

No comments: